DONNIE - Birth Memories

 My memories of Donnie's birth:
At the time, I was in Atlanta going to business school and near graduation. Mama & Daddy drove up to visit. When they came in, both looked like the "cat who had swallowed the mouse"!! They both seemed very happy. Daddy said that Mama had some news to tell me. Daddy was smiling like a cheshire cat, all pleased and privy to a great secret! Mama then told me she was pregnant...I was blown away! and very surprised. I could see they were very happy and excited. My thoughts - maybe Daddy would finally get the boy he wanted!
                                         Everyone in the family was very concerned for Mama's safety and well-being. Mama had been told after my birth
Not to have any more kids. A story I seem to remember was that she almost died when I was born. (don't remember specific details)
Near Mama's "due date" Drs. decided to "force labor" and get it done! Daddy & I were in the waiting room. I had walked back to the double doors @ delivery area.
A close family friend walked out with this BEAUTIFUL little baby boy in her arms and told me this baby was my brother. I was the 1st person(other than Mama) to hold & KISS Donnie when he was born.
I went running to the waiting room and told Daddy - you have a son....he was dumbfounded! Daddy didn't believe me at first. Guess having his dream come true for a son overwhelmed him a bit. Those yrs. noone knew the sex of the baby until the actual birth. 
Daddy strutted around and visually beamed his pride & joy with Donnie's birth! They allowed me to help name my brother. They chose Donald and I wanted Walter, Dad's name, for his middle name.
So, Donald Walter was born and Mama did great, no adverse problems.
At this time, I worked @ Blue Bird - just like Daddy. The company always held church-like assembly and new "daddies" were given a check for the new baby. Daddy "strutted" up to the stage, smiling that cat-like smile and got his check. Everyone clapped and Daddy was a very PROUD man of his new son.
I had begged them for years for a baby to grow up with and it never worked.....until I left home & they started "playin round"....haha
Donnie is what was called - a "change of life" / late-life baby. 
Daddy LOVED Donnie completely and totally. I know Daddy would be very PROUD of the man his son has become today. 
It's very sad that Daddy went to heaven in '71 and Donnie was sooo young then. I try to relate stories to Donnie about Daddy, but I know it will never be enough to quell his curiosity and ease the loss Donnie feels having lost Daddy too young.
It is hopeful that Donnie knows & BELIEVES how happy and excited his parents were before and after he was born. Donnie brought JOY to our parents and I'm so thankful that on July 3,1967 Donnie joined our family. 
LUV ya bunches baby bro..........HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  sista

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE Lessons .....Learning Again !!

#7 - 0 CELEBRATION !

the "REST OF THE STORY"......