Remembering my Daddy

Sadly, my Daddy passed away in '71. It was too soon and the shock of losing him at 52 was a really emotional event in our lives.
Daddy was a man's man! He was too protective at times of his family! Daddy worked hard, loved quietly and had a very strong character with deep beliefs of right and wrong.
When Daddy got his right hand cut off in a machine at Blue Bird, things could have been awful and depressing. But not with my Daddy! He quickly "took charge", learned how to dress himself, and added a "ball" to the steering wheel of his car so he could still drive and be independent! The loss of that hand just made him more determined to be better than the loss!
I drove to the hospital to pick him up and bring him home after the accident...It was emotions rampant for us both. Daddy was a very independent and stubborn man....he said to me (loosely quoted)--honey, you're gonna have to help me get dressed! I know it took all his pride to have to do/say those words. That was a moment that never leaves my heart, even after all these years. Daddy just didn't know how deeply I was affected by his needing my help, instead of him taking care of me. It was sad, but made me feel useful in a situation I couldn't change for him.
Daddy's blood truly runs thru the veins of Donnie and my sons! He was such a pick-box and so full of devilment! These guys definitely inherited that trait from Daddy! He was always messing with kids and pickin at all those around him. Daddy loved his fun!
One thing most of the kids in our family got exposed to was -- Daddy would drop/poke his false teeth out at the kids....they would all go running & screaming away from him....it was FUNNY!!
Daddy and Mama were married almost 25yrs. when he passed away. He left that example for his family.
Daddy and I had our moments during my rebellious years! He never did make me doubt for a second that I was loved....Daddy was foolish over Donnie when he was born--finally, a son he wanted....It was too sad that Daddy passed away before Donnie could really know him.
So, Daddy - - I know you are in heaven watching over us you left behind. That does give some comfort. However, we MISS your physical presence in our lives. I LOVE you and will never release that special part of my heart to anyone else......always a "daddy's girl".....
                                                          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#7 - 0 CELEBRATION !

LIFE Lessons .....Learning Again !!

the "REST OF THE STORY"......